Текущее время: Вт авг 20, 2019 14:35

Часовой пояс: UTC + 4 часа [ Летнее время ]

Только у нас вы можете получить email вида: ваш_ник@sumqayit.ru Подробнее...

Если вы не знаете как зарегистрироваться, прочтите эту тему: Как правильно зарегистрироваться

It’s the beginning of the end for San Francisco Giants ma 
Автор Сообщение
Знаток

Сообщение It’s the beginning of the end for San Francisco Giants ma
SAN DIEGO (AP) —nager Bruce Bochy and the beginning of what the San Diego Padres and their long-suffering fans hope is a return to relevance behind All-Star slugger Manny Machado and hotshot rookie shortstop Fernando Tatis Jr.Bochy begins his 25th and final season as a manager — his first 12 were with the Padres — when Madison Bumgarner and the Giants face Eric Lauer and the Padres in a matchup of left-handers Thursday at sold-out Petco Park.It’s easily the most-anticipated opening day in San Diego since the downtown ballpark opened in 2004 because of the signing of Machado to a $300 million Alex Bregman Jersey , 10-year contract and the addition of the 20-year-old Tatis Jr., the No. 2 overall prospect in baseball, to the roster.It’ll be special for Bochy as well. He managed the Padres from 1995 until being pushed out after the Padres’ playoff loss to St. Louis in 2006. While the Padres haven’t been back to the postseason since then, Bochy was snapped up by the Giants and managed them to three World Series titles in five seasons starting in 2010.“I have great memories there,” said Bochy, who announced during spring training that he’ll retire after this season. “It’s ironic that that’s where I’m starting this year. I hadn’t really thought about it . but I’m sure I’ll do some reflecting there, but more importantly, we’ll focus on trying to win some ballgames. I’ve made that drive to the ballpark quite a few times, so I look forward to getting the season going. I’ll probably have some moments there and think about some great times there, and also some battles we’ve had with them.”Bochy played for the Padres when they made it to the World Series in 1984 http://www.astrosfanproshop.com/authentic-justin-verlander-jersey , losing in five games to Detroit, and was their manager in the World Series in 1998, when they were swept by the New York Yankees. That 1998 season was the impetus that helped get Petco Park built.The Padres hope to return to the World Series sooner rather than later. They showed they are serious about moving from rebuilding to contending by signing Machado early in spring training and then adding Tatis Jr., the prized prospect in what’s generally considered baseball’s top farm system, to the big league roster.What did the Padres learn about Machado in his first month with the team?“Good person. Good teammate,” said manager Andy Green, who’s starting his fourth season with the Padres. “Fun to be around. Easy to talk to for all his teammates, staff, everybody. Very approachable. A good person. He’s a good baseball player too, but I already knew that.”Green spoke glowingly about Tatis Jr. even before he was added to the opening day roster.“He’s young obviously. He’s a special talent. Incredibly athletic Brian McCann Jersey ,” Green said. “You watch him run the bases and you see real quickly there is real power there. Comes out in bursts at time where you’re blown away by it and there are times it’s just hustle beating other teams. I think that’s been really positive. His improvement on the defensive side is the best thing for me. From where he was last year in spring training to where he is this year, if he takes one more leap like that he has a chance to be one of the absolute best in the game at that position.”Tatis’ father, who played in the major leagues, was ecstatic when his son called him with the news of his promotion.“It’s awesome for him,” the senior Tatis said from San Pedro de Macoris, Dominican Republic, where he was making arrangements for the rest of the family to travel to San Diego for Thursday’s game. “It’s going to be great because playing right next to Manny is going to be a big help for him. I believe it’s going to be a great combination, third and short. I don’t think many balls are going to go through third base and shortstop because of their range. The left side of the infield is going to be amazing.”Bumgarner (6-7, 3.26 ERA in 2018) is coming off a second straight injury-shortened season. Lauer was 6-7 with a 4.34 ERA in his first big league season. MESA, Ariz. (AP) — Last spring http://www.astrosfanproshop.com/authentic-justin-verlander-jersey , Dave Stewart and Rickey Henderson addressed the Oakland Athletics players before the first full-squad workout in spring training. A’s manager Bob Melvin admitted to being a little superstitious and asked the pair of Oakland greats to speak again on Saturday.Why not? The Athletics won 97 games last season and secured a wild-card berth. Melvin wanted to remind the players there’s still work to do.“We talked about expectations a little bit, kind of where we came from, where we are now and where we expect to go,” Melvin said of his address to the full squad.The Athletics’ spring will be interrupted by a trip to Japan to play two regular-season games against the Mariners on March 20-21. Both teams will have 28-man rosters so there’s no need to push anyone now.Khris Davis, the major League home run leader with 48 last season, looked as if he was ready, launching balls over the fence off Melvin in batting practice.“I think he took advantage of the wind,” Melvin jokingly said.For Cliff Pennington, this marked a return to his roots. The versatile infielder signed a minor league deal with the A’s and is back with the team where he began his career in 2008. In 11 seasons with the Athletics, Diamondbacks Tyler Clippard Jersey , Angels, Reds and Blue Jays, Pennington has compiled a .242 batting average.“I think I know more staff and coaches than players,” Pennington said. “This is where it all started so it’s kind of fun to come back in here and see some familiar faces.”He had conversations with other teams but liked the comfort factor of returning to Oakland. Being reunited with current A’s hitting coach Darren Bush also was a plus. Bush was Pennington’s hitting coach at two levels in the minor leagues.Pennington has primarily played shortstop but has embraced the role of utility player.“Obviously, everybody wants to play,” Pennington said. “When you put on a uniform, you want to go on the field. It’s a role I’ve been in for a little while now and I’m just trying to do the best I can to help the team win any way I can. Sometimes that’s being a mentor or player/coach in the dugout or on the field. I embrace it and try to do the best I can with it.”Pennington, 34, may be able to provide some pointers to the young A’s infielders.“I love playing the game but I also love helping out,” he said. “To come in here and get to talk to some guys and maybe give them a few things I’ve learned over the years to a group that’s already really http://www.astrosfanproshop.com/authentic-justin-verlander-jersey , really good, that’s always fun.”Melvin gave players a heads up to be ready to do whatever it takes.“We are creative, we do try to find nuances and different ways to move forward with what we have,” he said. “Sure, I’d like to have the Astros starting rotation and let those guys go out there and pitch six, seven innings every day and turn it over to a really strong bullpen but that’s not how we’re made up.”NOTES: Melvin will try to pair SS Marcus Semien with new 2B Jurickson Profar as much as possible so the two can become more familiar with each other. Profar was acquired in December from the Rangers.

Пн апр 08, 2019 7:06

Часовой пояс: UTC + 4 часа [ Летнее время ]